We’ve had a number of requests from people very green to the process of purchasing structures asking “where do I start?” So we’ve made this check list and supplements to help you out with that! All the information can be found on our website as well, through the links below or the search field on the top left corner of the site. We are also here to answer any questions you may have. We look forward to your call!
You can download our General Information Brochure to get you started!
We’ve also made a Glossary of terms and other starting points in our installation guide. All of which can help familiarize you with items new to you.
Norm’s speech & video Greenhouses 101 is also a good starting point, whether you’re building a greenhouse, storage or any structure that you have in mind.
Recently we have published a book full of information about the planning process “So You Want to Buy a Greenhouse: Your Guide to Planning a Greenhouse Purchase” is available on Amazon, or you can call the office or email email@example.com to order your copy.
GETTING STARTED WITH YOUR SHELTER CUSTOMIZATION
click here to download this in PDF format
1. Pick a Location: Your building must be level from side to side. If you can’t excavate we can design a variation. End to end slope is ok but if it is more then 1%, we need to know. If you are butting against a building, there may need to be some extra hoops in the first 12’ of length. Building behind something does not provide shelter. You actually increase wind turbulence.
2. Pick a width: Most of our standard widths can easily be modified if it needs to be specific. The widest we do with engineered drawings is 30’ but have supplied up to 36’ wide.
3. Pick a length: Any length is possible; simply by adding hoops If you are building between 2 fixed points, the last hoop spacing can be modified to fit the spot.
4. Pick a height: We have 7 lengths of steel to pick from and do not bend anything until we get an order. Building higher will improve the snow shedding characteristics of the building. Building higher gives more interior space close to the wall but the structure catches more wind. Since building higher catches more wind, the structure may require reduced hoop spacing. Building higher will be a little more costly to heat but does improve natural air circulation. Building lower will decrease snow shedding and may required closer hoop spacing.
5. Pick a base or foundation: The standard package comes with a Base Brackets under each hoop to secure the building to a beam. This beam can be ground mounted or on blocks, posts, slab or shipping containers. We can supply a welded steel base rail if the structure needs to be moveable. We can supply Anchor Posts. Each hoop would sit on a post that may need to be set into concrete. Please remember that there simply is no such thing as too many anchors.
6. Pick a cover: The standard covers we offer are 12 mil tarp (white or green) and 6mil (white or clear) White tarp has a typical 8-10 year life and gives summer shade and winter light. Green tarp has a typical 6-7 year life and is hotter in summer and colder in winter. 6mil clear plastic must be used for plants. Typical life span is 5-6 years. 6mil white plastic is used where shade is important but still need light. Typical life is 4-6 years. Doubling up on plastic reduces heat loss by 30%, minimizes condensation and increases life span by 50%
7. Determine ventilation: Roll up Side Walls are an economical add on to our greenhouses or livestock shelters to provide natural ventilation. Roof vents and exhaust fans are available options
8. Building ends: Our package prices include covers for both ends. The assembly guide gives pointers on framing Ends We can supply steel frame ends, with or without a variety of sizes and types of doors.
If you haven’t had a look yet, our installation guide has quite a few pointers and tips of things you may need to consider for your unique application as well. We look forward to hearing from you with any other questions or comments you have, either through our contact form, or call us toll free 1-866-838-6729