Norm spoke at the Guelph Organic Conference on January 31, 2015, on Greenhouses 101: Knowing the basics before you buy-Choices and Consequences
You can find the articles and information posted, as well as a video of his presentation and the Q&A below.
Greenhouses 101: What are you trying to accomplish? What are you dealing with? Greenhouses 101: Climate and Air Effects on your Structure
Greenhouses: 101: Covering Options
Greenhouses 101: Greenhouse Shapes & Configurations
Greenhouses 101: Orientation and Location
Greenhouses 101: Knowing the basics before you buy
Greenhouses 101: Greenhouse Choices
We also were involved in a collaboration workshop project in Nova Scotia. Check out more information on Grow Better Not Bigger with Jean-Martin Fortier
Norm did a presentation at the Guelph Organic Conference on Greenhouses 202: Making sure your structure survives the elements.
The presentation is broken into three parts for easy viewing, the last section of which is the Q&A.
These tips apply for greenhouses, storage buildings, livestock shelters, really anything we sell.
Key Points Covered in the presentation:
1. Some basic principles of engineering so that the forces exerted on the buildings could be better understood.
2. The many components of anchoring. Anchoring prevents a structure from settling under snow load, prevents lifting under aerodynamic forces and prevents shifting with wind forces.
3. The similarities of an airplane wing to the shape of a structure. What happens when surfaces become bigger and wider. lower and higher.
4. How uneven loads can happen and how to prevent them.
5. The proper procedure for removing excessive snow load
Watch more here: